Kyocera is a name that you’d recall when you have to see something unique in their phones. Not all of them, but some can easily be remembered, for example, the washable smartphone from the company. The latest one from them is called the Torque X01 and it is a feature phone with the flip design, but what makes it unique is its build. A strong, really strong design that passes a bunch of U.S. military standard tests.
It is a super tough phone and it complies with 18 separate categories of the US military’s MIL-STD-810G procurement standards. According to TheVerge, it isn’t the military that tests the phones so the companies do that by themselves and there were a few phones in the past that claimed to have passed these tests after the companies tested them. In the design, there are corner guards and a front metal ring to protect the display area that is always exposed, and even the back has a camera bumper.
As for the specs, the Kyocera Torque X01 has a 3.4-inch liquid crystal display and along with that is a 13-megapixel camera with HD video recording. Since it is made to use in different environments, the speakers are said to have a loudness of 100 db, and there are large keys so that the ones wearing gloves too can easily access them. A 1.1GHz Snapdragon processor powers the phone and to take it further into the list of features, there are built-in apps that read out stats like temperature, weather, altitude, tides, and even the activity level of fishes.
MIL-STD-810G rated in the following 18 categories.
- Blowing rain of 1.7mm/min for 30 minutes in six directions
- Immersion in water for 30 minutes at a depth of 1.5m
- Rain drops from a height of 1m (15 minutes)
- Sand and dust for six consecutive hours (wind speed of 8.9m/sec, concentration of 10.6g/m3)
- Dropping on plywood (lauan lumber) from a height of approx. 1.22m in 26 directions
- Shock of 40G imparted three times from six directions with a unit attached to the shock tester
- Vibration for three hours (one hour/20-2,000Hz in three directions)
- Solar radiation for 10 days with exposure to radiation of 1,120W/m2 for 20 consecutive hours each day
- Humidity for 10 days in a row (humidity of 95%)
- High temperature (operation/storage) three consecutive hours at 50°C for operation and four consecutive hours at 60°C for storage
- Low temperature (operation/storage) three consecutive hours at -21°C for operation and four consecutive hours at -30°C for storage
- Temperature shock with rapid temperature changes between -21 and 50°C for three consecutive hours
- Low pressure (operation/storage) for two consecutive hours (equivalent to 57.2kPa / an altitude of approx. 4,572m)
- Freeze-thaw in which a condensation or fog is created at -10°C for one hour following an operation check at 25°C at 95%RH
- Icing/Freezing Rain in which cooling water is frozen at -10°C into ice with a thickness of 6mm
For now, the Torque X01 is going to be available only in Japan, the company’s home market.