YouTube has officially launched the YouTube Kids app in India. The announcement comes just prior to the Children’s day in India, and the app focuses both Children and Parents, keeping in mind their ease of use and limitations that the parent can set for their child who would use the app to watch videos.
The app is built to make it easier for kids to find and watch relevant videos and remove any unnecessary video that might make no sense to them. The standalone, family-friendly app is available for both Android and iOS.
Many top Indian YouTube kids and learning creators will be adding new shows exclusive to the YouTube platform on the occasion of YouTube Kids’ launch. These include new learning shows from ChuChuTV and Kids TV, a new season of Cat & Keet, a popular chase comedy show by Toonz Animation, the Gummy Bear song in Hindi, and a new season of Appu – The Yogic Elephant. And of course, your kids can watch any series from all of the YouTube channels they already know and love. We’ll also be bringing in new guest-curated playlists from educators, celebrities, trusted names and other parents in the coming weeks.
The videos and playlists are shown in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore. Most of the videos in the app are already the ones that kids might be knowing from the original YouTube app but here, the app makes the content limited to kids and thus, makes it a distraction-free platform with only the content that a child would want to watch.
There are certain parental control features in the YouTube Kids app.
- Search settings: Automated Prompt allows you to make a choice about how broadly you want your child to explore – turn search on to access millions of family-friendly videos, or turn search off to restrict your child’s experience to a more limited set. Either way, parents decide the right experience for their family from the get-go.
- Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don’t have to. (You’re welcome.
- Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while parents catch a breath.
- Passcode and restricting certain content: Parents have the ability to set their own passcode, and to access settings and other parental information in the app.
- YouTube Kids on the big screen: You can now also watch YouTube Kids as a family on your big screen using Chromecast, Apple TV, game consoles or a smart TV.
Download YouTube Kids for Android[appbox googleplay com.google.android.apps.youtube.kids]
Download for iOS: Link