If you are upgrading your existing Windows PC, or simply changing your work machine to another Windows PC, then one of the mightiest challenges you may be facing, is to shift all the personal data and settings, from your existing PC to the new one. Especially if you are upgrading an office PC, then this is a risky task as you may not be able to afford to lose any of your valuable data or settings that you might have safely stored in your existing PC.
Well, it seems like Microsoft has finally realized this as a major issue that many of its users are facing currently and has decided to release an official tool. As Windows 10 is one of the most important software releases of Microsoft ever and as many people will be upgrading their existing PC to a Windows 10 PC, Microsoft in partnership with Laplink has recently released an official tool named the “Laplink PCmover” that is both cost-free and trouble-free, and helps users to conveniently migrate their existing data and settings to a new PC.
Use Laplink PCmover to Easily Migrate your Files and Settings between Windows PC
Below is a simple guide on how you can use the latest Laplink PCmover tool from Microsoft to easily move your old files and other data from an existing PC to a new one:
- First of all, you will need to download and install the Laplink PCmover software on both the PC of yours, between which you wish to exchange the data. You can download the Laplink PCmover tool from here.
- Once you download the installer, double click on the same, fill in the required details and follow the instructions displayed on the screen to install the Laplink PCmover on your computers. You should setup the software on the old PC first, from which you wish to move the data from.
- It is important to note that if you are opting to download the free version of the Laplink PCmover tool, then you will only be able to transfer your files and settings from your old PC to the new one.
- While setting up the older PC, click on the “Old” option, next choose the preferred connectivity option and then click on the “Next” button.
- Now the tool will scan your PC for the data that it considers compatible to get transferred. The scanning process may take quite some time depending on the data stored on your PC’s hard drives. Once the scanning is complete, you will need to open the Laplink application on the PC to which you wish to move all the data to.
- Log in with the same account credentials as you did in the Laplink tool on your older PC.
- And in the new PC, click on the “Windows 8.1 or later” option and then connect according to the connectivity preference you choose above on your old PC.
- You will be shown a list of data that will be transferred from your old PC to the new one, verify them before you begin the process.
- The process may take a while depending on which connectivity option you have chosen, wired or wireless.
And that’s it. You have now successfully transferred all your important data and settings from your old PC to the new one.