Great news for iPhone users who wanted a smartwatch, but not shell out money for the Apple Watch. Android Wear is the only alternative one can look at, and finally, Android Wear works with iPhones, after quite a long wait. Android Wear for iOS is rolling out today, and it would work with iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, or 6 Plus running iOS 8.2+, though not all the smartwatches currently will be compatible with it.
According to Google, it is LG Watch Urbane that will work with Android Wear for iOS as of today, and the upcoming smartwatches from Huawei, Asus, and Motorola will support iOS. The reason why past smartwatches are not compatible here, is that Google wants to work the watches right away, rather than through software updates.
Here are a few things one could do on their Android Wear smartwatch, using Android Wear for iOS:
- Notifications, phone call and message info are all showcased on the smartwatch
- Information is available at a glance, with the always-on display
- Set fitness goals, and get daily and weekly views of your progress
- The smartwatch trans walking and running, and even measures heart rate
- Ok Google – smart help for traffic directions, flight status and setting appointments
There are certain limitations and the Android Wear won’t work the same way it did in Android OS, but one still now gets to use an Android Wear smartwatch with an Apple iPhone.