The MIUI 9 is the latest interface from Xiaomi for all the Mi devices. What makes MIUI 9 so popular is that it even supports Mi devices that were launched about 2 years ago.
One issue that may come up, especially for older Mi device owners, after installing the MIUI 9 update is the lack of storage space. Well, if you are facing from limited storage issue on your Mi device then Xiaomi has got you covered as they offer a lot of features in MIUI 9 to clean up storage space.
Today, we take you through some of the best MIUI 9 tips and tricks to clean up storage space.
How to delete Cache Data in MIUI 9?
Cached data does take up quite some memory space and most of the times these data are not of use. The best way to regain the memory space taken up by cached data is to delete the same, and below is how you can easily delete cache data on MIUI 9.
- On your Mi device, launch the “Settings” app.
- In the Settings app, navigate to the “Storage” section and click on the same.
- Now, click on the option that says “Cached Data”.
- Once clicked, a pop-up menu will appear prompting you on whether you wish to delete the cache data on your phone. Confirm the same and all the cache data will be cleared freeing up memory space on your device.
How to clean up device storage in MIUI 9?
Most often there are junk files on our internal storage mostly media files and other unnecessary files that we are too lazy to clean up manually. Well, for the lazy heads among us, there is an inbuilt “Cleaner” within MIUI 9 which can be used to clear up internal storage space off junk data.
The Cleaner makes sure that none of the data that can lead to data loss are deleted, only duplicate or junk files are prompted for deletion. Out of the selected files, you can also remove files to prevent them from being deleted as well.
- Launch the MIUI Cleaner app.
- It then auto-scans your device for junk files.
- Once the scan is complete, a list of junk files will be displayed.
- You can choose to delete the entire junk files or manually select the ones you wish to delete as well.
There is also an option for deep clean, wherein a full scan of your device will be done and the generated list will contain apps that you rarely use, duplicate images, accidental images, APK files and more which you can choose to delete entirely or pick manually.
- In the MIUI Cleaner app, you will see an option that says “Deep Clean”.
- Click on the same and wait for the device scan to complete.
- From the list displayed, pick the apps, files etc. that you wish to delete.
- Click on “Delete Now” option for each batch of data displayed.
How to use Mi Cloud in MIUI 9?
Mi Cloud is the exclusive cloud storage service offered by Xiaomi to its product owners. The Mi Cloud helps users to securely save their photos and videos in the cloud so as to free up space on their devices. Below is how you can use the Mi Cloud to save storage space on your Mi device.
- To enable auto-backup to Mi Cloud from your gallery, launch the “Gallery” app on your Mi device.
- Now, switch from “Photos” view to “Album” view.
- Tap on the three dots icon that is present to the top right corner of the gallery app.
- Now click on “Settings”.
- From the list that appears, click on the “Back up automatically” option which will auto-backup your photos to the Mi Cloud.
- Also, if you want the back up to happen only over WIFI, select the “only use WIFI to back up photos and videos” option as well.
Additionally, you can also choose to replace the full-resolution images in your device gallery with an optimized lower resolution version once the full-resolution photo has been uploaded to Mi Cloud.
- To enable the above feature, turn ON the “Optimize local storage after backups” option available in the same section as above.
How to use MicroSD card to save storage space in MIUI 9?
Mi devices come with a MicroSD card slot that can be used to extend the storage capacity of the device, in case the internal storage is not sufficient.
To set the MicroSD card as your default storage, follow the steps below:
- First of all, enter the MicroSD card.
- Now, launch the “Settings” app.
- And then click on the “Storage” option.
- If the MicroSD card is detected by the device, it will be registered here.
- Set the default storage from “Internal Storage” to “SD Card”.
- For WhatsApp media content, you can choose to manually move data from internal storage to SD card.