If you’ve not been living under a rock you would surely have heard by now about the sad shutdown of Cyanogen Inc. Fortunately the developers of the legendary CyanogenMod decided to keep the work going and started a new Android OS distribution called the Lineage OS. Lineage OS follows the same legacy as CyanogenMod (commonly known as CM), keeping Android in the purest form without any bloat but still adding features which users might actually need.
Lineage is going to be Open source distribution just like CyanogenMod thus letting anyone with technical knowledge and skills to be able to work on the distribution and compile the source to make a rom for any device. However as of the time this article was written, no official build is available yet however several developers have worked and compiled the source for many devices,though OnePlus 2 is about 2 years old, it still has a lot to offer and it gets even better with Lineage OS.
How to Install
The installation procedure for Lineage OS is no different from any other custom rom, it requires the same basic skill set. However for our readers who are new to rooting and flashing custom rom’s we’ve compiled a step-by-step procedure for the same.
As Lineage OS doesn’t come with Google apps preinstalled we need the GApps package. For a detailed step by step procedure to root your OnePlus 2 and install a custom recovery click here.
Steps to Install Lineage OS on OnePlus 2
Installing a custom rom is generally very easy,however few prerequisites should be taken care of to avoid any problems. Before following the guide make sure your phone has atleast 60% charge and that you’ve backed up all your data. It is recommended to take a full Nandroid backup before experimenting with a new rom, for a step-by-step procedure on taking a Nandroid backup Click here.
- Make sure your phone is rooted and you’ve a custom recovery installed, click here if you’ve not yet installed custom recovery.
- Reboot the phone into recovery by holding the power button and volume down button until you see the TWRP logo.
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve downloaded and placed the Lineage OS package and select the package
- Wait for the installation to complete (This may take some time) and then go back to select the GApps package file for installation.
- On successful installation, go back to the main menu in the recovery and open the Wipe menu.
- Select Cache and Dalvik/ART Cache and swipe the slider to the right to wipe.
- Go back and select factory reset to avoid boot issues and several other bugs.
- Reboot and complete the setup to enjoy Lineage OS on your OnePlus 2.
- If anything goes wrong and you get into a bootloop, boot backup to the recovery and restore the Nandroid backup that was taken before the start of this procedure from the restore menu of the recovery.
Although installing custom rom’s and rooting the device doesn’t void the warranty of OnePlus devices, it is better to exercise caution and follow the steps carefully.