Transferring data between your computer and your phone is something that you would actually do quite a few times. Be it your favorite music or pictures, you will be sending them between your computer and your smartphone definitely. Now, to do that you would generally use the supplied microUSB or the USB Type-C cable with your computer. But today, let me tell you how you can move your data between your phone and the computer wirelessly, over the same WiFi network.
In order to do this, there are 2 very popular applications that people use. One of them is called AirDroid and the other is called ShareIt. I had featured ShareIt in my tutorial on how to transfer media from one phone to the other, and it makes a comeback in this tutorial again. Let’s get started with both these ways, they’re both actually really simple to carry out.
Wirelessly Transfer Data Using AirDroid
AirDroid is a very popular app for transferring your data from your phone to your computer and even controlling a few aspects of your phone. Today, let me show how you can transfer the data wirelessly over the same Wi-Fi Network. AirDroid works with both, Windows and Mac, so you can just really get started.
- Download the AirDroid application on your Android device from the Play Store.
- Then, open the application on your phone and start configuring it with the easy setup mode that it has.
- When it’s done setting up, open AirDroid on your phone again and it will give you a URL/web address that you can visit on your computer to start transferring files.
- Make sure that your computer is connected to the same network, either via a wired connection or via Wi-Fi as your phone and open that URL on your computer’s web browser. I used Chrome for that.
- As soon as you open the URL, you’ll get a popup on your phone asking if you want to allow this computer to connect to AirDroid. Allow it.
- Now, on the web page that you loaded, you can choose if you want to send files to the phone. Just click on Files on the browser window and browse for the files that you wish to upload.
- When you upload, you will see them on your phone in the folder that was defined during the upload.
Note: If you want to transfer files from your phone to your computer, you will have to install the desktop application for AirDroid from their official website and then choose send files in your AirDroid application on your phone.
Wirelessly Transfer Data Using ShareIt
ShareIt is an application that lets you transfer files between your phone and your computer or between your phone and another phone. ShareIt is only available for Windows, and you will have to install the desktop version of it to be able to send or receive files. Let’s see how to do all that.
- Download ShareIt on your Android Phone from the Google Play Store and then download the desktop application from their official website.
- Install and setup the application on your phone and when you get to the desktop application, just run the setup like usual.
- Start the ShareIt application on your computer and it will then start searching for devices in the same network.
- Move over to the Android Application and choose Receive from the two options that you see there.
- Down there, choose Connect to PC and wait for it to search for your PC.
- When it finds it, tap on the name to connect to your PC and enter the password.
- For the password, click on the small drop-down arrow on the desktop application and click on show password to know the password.
- After you get connected, you’ll get a confirmation on your desktop app asking if you want to actually connect or not.
- Then just connect and now you can transfer files between your computer and your phone without any issue whatsoever.
I hope one of these ways suits the transfer that you want to do. In my personal experience, I found that ShareIt transfers the files faster than AirDroid, but your results might vary. The difference I found wasn’t anything really huge but just a minimal difference. Feel free to comment in the section down below if you face any problem regarding this tutorial. Also, don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family so they benefit from it too!