ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser (ZC551KL) recently went on sale in India for a price tag of Rs. 18,999. This falls right into the price bracket of the Lenovo Z2 Plus, which retails at Rs. 17,999 and Rs. 19,999. The Z2 Plus is undoubtedly the best smartphone under Rs. 20,000. Today, let’s compare it with the Zenfone 3 Laser and see which is the better device.
Similarities between ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser (ZC551KL) and Lenovo Z2 Plus
- The main similarity between the two smartphones is their pricing.
- Both the devices come with extensive 4G LTE support along with VoLTE enabled out of the box.
- Each of the handsets has 4 GB RAM variants.
- The ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser and Lenovo Z2 Plus sport a similar camera set-up with 13 MP rear snappers and 8 MP selfie shooters.
- Both comes with the usual set of sensors and connectivity features along with a fingerprint scanner.
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow operating system runs on each of the devices.
Differences between ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser (ZC551KL) and Lenovo Z2 Plus
- The ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser comes with a 5.5-inch display while the Lenovo Z2 Plus features a smaller 5-inch screen. However, both the panels are Full HD 1080p IPS LCDs with 2.5D curvature.
- The Zenfone 3 Laser sports the octa-core Snapdragon 430 SoC whereas the Z2 Plus boasts the quad-core Snapdragon 820 chipset. Even though the latter has less number of processing cores, it enormously more powerful than the
- The RAM module of the Zenfone 3 Laser is an LPDDR3 unit, while the Z2 Plus relies on a much faster LPDDR4 technology.
- Zenfone 3 Laser can take in a micro SD card while the Z2 Plus can’t.
- The 13 MP camera sensor of the Zenfone is manufactured by Sony, in comparison to the Samsung – made sensor of the Z2 Plus.
- There is the customary laser-assisted autofocus in the Zenfone 3 Laser. This is completely absent in the Z2 Plus which depends on PDAF (Phase Detection Auto Focus).
- 4K Ultra HD (2160p) video recording is supported in the Lenovo Z2 Plus, whereas, the Zenfone 3 Laser is restricted to only Full HD (1080p). The former can also shoot slow motion footages which the latter is incapable of.
- ASUS has placed the fingerprint sensor at the back of its smartphone, while Lenovo has integrated it with the home button. The latter additionally comes with a lot of functionality like gesture support.
- While the Z2 Plus has dual-band (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) Wi-Fi, the Zenfone features a single band (2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi radio.
- ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser comes with a 3000mAh battery, while a larger 3500mAh cell sits inside the Lenovo Z2 Plus.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser (ZC551KL) vs Lenovo Z2 Plus: Final Verdict
As you can see, apart from the pricing and some other minor things, the ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser (ZC551KL) and Lenovo Z2 Plus are vastly different from each other. ASUS emphasised a lot on the laser assisted camera set-up but forgot to add a decent processor. The Zenfone has the same chipset as the Xiaomi Redmi 3S which retails for as low as Rs. 6999.
On the other hand, the Lenovo Z2 Plus comes with the flagship Snapdragon 820 processor which powers some of the best smartphones in the market like Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, LG G5, OnePlus 3, etc. According to us, other than the camera, there is little reason to choose the ASUS Zenfone 3 Laser over the Z2 Plus.