Samsung has launched their latest flagship the Galaxy S7 along with the Galaxy S7 Edge at the Unpacked 2016 event by Samsung. The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge sports a 5.1-inch Quad HD AMOLED display with resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution having an impressive 577 ppi pixel density which is bigger than the Galaxy S6 Edge which has a 5.1-inch curved display. The display is said to always on and pressure sensitive. The Gear 360 VR was also launched at the Unpacked event.
The design of the Galaxy S7 Edge is similar to its predecessor with a change in color options and the camera bump on the back is a bit less compared to the S6. The Galaxy S7 Edge is powered by a Quad-core Snapdragon 820 SoC or an Octa-Core Exynos 8 Octa 8890 processor based on the location of sale. When compared to the Galaxy S7 the S7 Edge variant has a bigger display which is curved and the battery capacity is also bigger.
Specifications of Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge:
- Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display with resolution of 2560×1440 pixels and pixel density of 534 ppi
- Processor: Quad-core Snapdragon 820 SoC or an Octa-Core Exynos 8 Octa 8890 (2.3GHz Quad + 1.6GHz Quad) processor
- RAM and Storage: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 32/64GB internal memory, expandable memory with microSD up to 200GB
- Camera: 12MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, Dual Pixel technology, OIS and LED flash along with an 5MP front facing camera with f/1.7 aperture
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Battery: 3600mAh with wireless charging using charging pad
- Connectivity:4 G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac/ad, Bluetooth 4.2 LE & apt-X, GPS with GLONASS, NFC
The device comes with 4GB of RAM and two variants based on internal storage space of 32GB and 64GB with an option to expand further using microSD card which was absent on the Galaxy S6 Edge. It runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow directly out of the box. The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge sports a 12MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, LED flash and OIS along with a 5MP front-facing camera.
The Galaxy S7 Edge comes with an Heart Rate sensor and a Fingerprint sensor which is located on the home button below the display similar to the Galaxy S7. As rumored the device comes with IP67 rating for Water resistance. The Galaxy S7 Edge is powered by a 3600mAh battery which is an upgrade from 2600mAh battery in Galaxy S6 Edge and comparatively higher capacity than the 3000mAh battery of the Galaxy S7. The device comes with liquid cooling technology to dissipate heat from the powerful processor. It comes with connectivity features like 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac/ad, Bluetooth 4.2 LE & apt-X, GPS with GLONASS and NFC. Samsung is providing their own KNOX protection to defend the device against attacks.
The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is available in Black, Silver and Gold colors. Pre-orders for the Galaxy S7 Edge start from today and the device will go on sale from March 11th. Samsung is going to give the Gear VR as a gift with Pre-order for Galaxy S7 in US and Europe. The Samsung Galaxy S7 is said to be priced at $670 on AT&T and $780 on T-mobile.