Sony has a surprise up their sleeve at the IFA 2016 in Berlin and it is the Xperia XZ that was announced alongside the Xperia X Compact device. The Xperia XZ which comes with a 5.2-inch display inside a revamped body with a rounded borders in the metal and glass body, and it retains all the good from its sibling and has some added features in the camera segment giving the already great camera in the Xperia X Performance more juice.
The Sony Xperia XZ comes with a 5.2-inch Full HD Triluminos display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection. It is powered by a 64-bit Quad-core Snapdragon 820 14nm processor with Adreno 530 GPU and the same 3GB RAM with 32GB and 64GB storage variants which are expandable up to 256GB using microSD card. It carries the IP65/IP68 Water Resistance rating from its sibling.
Specifications of Sony Xperia XZ:
- Display: 5.2-inch Triluminos Full HD Display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Processor: Quad-Core Snapdragon 820 64-bit 14nm processor with Adreno 530 GPU
- RAM and Storage: 3GB RAM, 32GB / 64GB (Dual SIM) internal memory, expandable memory up to 256GB via microSD card
- Camera: 23MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/2.3″ sensor, f/2.0 lens, Predictive Hybrid AF, 5-axis stabilization, 4K video recording 13MP front-facing camera with 1/3″ Exmor RS sensor, 22mm wide-angle f/2.0 lens, 1080p video recording
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- Battery: 2900 mAh Battery with Qnovo’s Adaptive Charging technology
- Additional features: Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
The main improvement in the device is in the camera segment which is a 23MP Exmor RS sensor, similar to the one in Xperia X performance but with added laser autofocus and sensor to capture the RGB and infrared images to being accurate colors to the images with perfect white balance. You can shoot 4K videos with the rear camera which was not available in the X performance. The front sports a 13MP camera with 22mm wide-angle lens. It comes with a dedicated camera button as well apart from the usual volume rockers and power button on the side.
It runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box and comes with connectivity features like 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C. The device sports a 2900mAh battery with Qnovo’s Adaptive Charging technology and Sony has promised that the device is optimised to last a whole day with the available battery capacity. The Sony Xperia XZ will be available in three colors – new Forest Blue, Mineral Black and Platinum with availability from October 2016 and the pricing for the various variants will be announced later.