SMSs are getting obsolete in a country like India, but there are still a lot of people who communicate via sending SMSs. Many brands use SMSes to communicate with their customers and update them about various things. When you are moving to a new phone, you may not be able to transfer your messages from one phone to the other by default, but you can do so by following the guide below.
Update: With the same tool that we highlighted below, you can now directly send the SMS to the other phone by using the app and you don’t have to send the backup through Email. The app has made it easier to transfer SMS from one Android phone to the other.
When you move to a new phone, here are the steps to follow to transfer your text messages along with the other content that you are moving. This can be achieved by simply installing the following application on your old phone, creating a backup and then moving it to the new phone and using the same application to restore them.
Backup SMS from Old Phone
To back up your text messages on your old phone, follow these steps.
- Install the SMS Backup & Restore application by Ritesh Sahu from the Google Play Store. It is available for free there.
- After installing the application, open it on your phone.
- On the home screen, choose Backup and then choose the backup location for your messages and click on OK.
- On the next screen, give the backup a name that you would like and choose the various options. After that, click on Ok. I selected the Local Backup only option and included all conversations.
- Wait for it to finish backing up your data and when it’s done, it will show you a log like the one below.
- After this, open a file explorer on your phone, (like ES File Manager) and browse to the location you created the backup in. If you chose the default location only, the backup will be placed in a folder called “SMSBackupRestore” on your internal memory.
- Choose a method to transfer this file to your other device, either via Bluetooth or by uploading it to your Google Drive account or sending it as an email to yourself and then downloading on the new phone.
Restore SMS on your New Phone
In the previous section, you were able to backup all your SMS messages and have successfully transferred them to your new phone. Follow the following steps to restore them on your new phone.
- Again, download and install the SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu from the Google Play Store.
- Open the application and choose Restore from the main menu.
- Now, browse for the backup file that you had transferred to your new phone in the last section.
- When you choose it, it will ask permission to become your default SMS app in order to restore the chats. Choose that option and allow it to be your default app.
- Then, choose the backup file again and choose what all to restore.
- It will then restore all your messages on the new device. After this, you will need to open your default SMS app and choose from it’s setting to be the default app again.
I hope this article was helpful to you in transferring your SMS from one phone to the other. If you found this article helpful, feel free to share it with your friends who might be suffering from such a dilemma of transferring SMS to a new device.