Each custom ROM comes with a set of ROM specific features which stun us all, many OEM’s also include their specific suite of features or skins which would be great to have on other phones too. Normally, At a given point of time it’s only possible to have one operating system on a given phone and financial constraints restrict us from owning many phones. However there are a few Xposed module apps which let experience best of all worlds, Xposed actually gives you the ability to handpick features that you want.
Xposed module is a framework that’s installed over the system framework, and when paired with the Xposed manager app, several other apps can make use of this custom framework to modify system appearance or performance. Xposed lets you skin individual apps downloaded from the Play Store, system apps or for that matter, even the framework of the system which controls the lockscreen, status bar, navigation bar, notification panel and the quick toggles.
Xposed module use cases are not just limited to appearance modifications, they’ve extreme utility value too, apps like Greenify or Amplify, Forcedoze tremendously increase the battery life by restricting wake locks, freezing apps or by forcing doze mode immediately after the phone sleeps! Xposed framework works directly by modifying the entire system framework so you should be very careful while installing to make sure you’ve the right version installed, also some Xposed modules are device specific, keep that in mind while installing!
- Xposed Framework: This is the heart and soul of the process, it also helps manage the packages(also referred to as Xposed modules)
- Xposed Modules: These are bits of software’s developed by individuals which make use of the framework to make the modifications or customization’s. Xposed framework by itself brings no noticeable changes, it is these modules which let you customize the device to your liking.
- Xposed module was mainly designed to work with AOSP roms only, make sure you verify the compatibility of the mod you install before activating it.
- A phone/tablet with a Android 4.0.3- 6.0.x
- Root access-for versions below lollipop
- Custom recovery(TWRP or CWM recommended) for lollipop marshmallow
- A strong heart!
There are two different methods of installing the Xposed framework based on the version of Android you’ve.
Installing Xposed framework for 4.0.3-4.4.x
Luckily the process is fairly straightforward, however, it requires you to be rooted with Superuser access.
- Start off the process by installing the Xposed installer module from here.
- On opening the app it should show that the device doesn’t have Xposed framework installed.
- Go to install page and select install/update.
- The app will then ask Superuser access, grant the permission and select remember.
- The app will then download the latest framework package from the server and install it on the device.
- One successful installation a prompt should be given suggesting you to reboot
- Reboot the device to fully activate the module.
- Open the app again to verify if the app is correctly installed.
- Open the Xposed installer app and navigate to the install/update page.
- Select Uninstall and confirm selection.
- Reboot to confirm un-installation.
Installing Xposed framework on lollipop/marshmallow devices
This process is a little different from the old method and it required you to have a custom recovery installed, the recommended ones Are TWRP and CWM.
- First download the Xposed framework based on the Sdk version and your processor(Arm, arm 64 or x86) from here. SDK 23= Android Marshmallow, SDK22= Android 5.1, SDK 21= Android 5.0.x
- Then download the Xposed manager app from here and install it.
- Copy the downloaded zip file of the Xposed framework to a convenient directory
- Reboot to recovery by holding the Vol+/Vol- button and the power button based on the device.
- Select install and navigate to the folder and select the zip file you’d just downloaded. And swipe right to install.
- Only successful install, clear cache and Dalvik/ART cache.
- Reboot to system to successfully activate the framework
- Verify successful functioning by opening the Xposed installer app on the device and check the install/update page of it..
- Download the Uninstaller package from here based on the device software version and processor type.
- Reboot to the recovery by holding Vol+/Vol- button and the power button based on the device you own.
- Select install and navigate the folder in which the new zip is placed.
- Select the un-installation zip and slide right to install the zip file which will uninstall the Xposed framework.
- Reboot to system to verify successfully uninstall of the Xposed framework.
Installing Xposed modules:
- From Xposed installer app.
- Once Xposed framework is successfully installed you can open the Xposed installer app.
- Go to the downloads page and search for the Module you need to just scroll through the huge list to explore new modules.
- Select the module you wish to install and swipe right to the downloads page.
- Select the latest release and click download.
- On successful download a new window will pop up, select install.
- Once successful installation the app will prompt you to activate and reboot, follow it.
- The device will reboot with the module successfully activated.
- From Playstore
- Follow the PlayStore to the mod of your choice or just look it up on Playstore.
- Select install and accept the permission.
- After successful installation, Xposed installer will prompt you to activate the module and reboot the device.
- Follow it to successfully activate the module.
- Open the installed module app for further modifications or customization’s.