Media Access Control Address (MAC Address), is a unique address assigned to computers, mobile phones and other electronics device for the communication on the physical network. In other words, MAC Address is much more like a postal address for every piece of hardware in a local network, for the communication. MAC Address have used in IEEE 802 technologies, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi. MAC Address encodes the manufacture’s identification number and is stored in read-only memory of the hardware. Because MAC Address are unique throughout the world for particular hardware, so it can also be used for tracing the hardware location. In this guide below, we will explain how to find MAC Address for your PC.
It is 12 digits hexadecimal number for example 00-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff or 00:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, the first half numbers contains the identification number of the manufacturer and the second half numbers contain the serial numbers assigned to the hardware by the manufacturer.
Find MAC Address of the Windows Computer
To find the MAC Address of the Windows computer follows the steps;
- Click on Start Menu
- Go to Search box enter cmd and press Enter cmd is the command to open Command Prompt.
- At the Command Prompt type ipconfig /all and press enter, this command will display all the details about the network hardware connected to the computer.
- Or you can also use getmac /v command to find out the MAC Address of your computer.
- Your computer’s Ethernet or other network hardware like Wi-Fi MAC Address listed as the Physical Address on Command Prompt.
- Enter exit to close the Command Prompt window.
Find MAC Address of the Mac Computer
To find out the MAC Address of your Apple Mac computer and connected network hardware in the Mac OS X Yosemite and El Capitan, follow the following steps.
- Open the System Preferences settings in Apple menu.
- In the System Preference settings click on the Network icon.
- By clicking on the Network icon, you will see that the new window will list the connections.
- You need to click the Advanced button here and this will open a new video.
- Now you will see the Mac address in this same window.
Find MAC Address of the Linux Computer
In windows ipconfig command is used to find out the MAC Address, in Linux ifconfig command is used to find the Physical Address or MAC Address.
Open the terminal in Linux menu type following command according to your needs
ifconfig or ifconfig eth0 : to find the MAC Address of the computer or Ethernet
ifconfig –a : to find out the MAC Address of all the connected network hardware
So, this was a post in which we told you how one can find the Mac address on various systems running Windows, MacOS or even Linux. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments below.