We all know how important it is to have a phone which has good resistance against dust and water. IP rating or Ingress Protection Rating is the international standard to measure such resistance of mobile phones against dust and water. The general format of IP rating is in such a way that to digits will follow the letters IP. For eg: IP68, IP67 etc,
There are various IP ratings for various purposes. First, we will list the IP ratings that provide protection against dust and other solid particles and how they perform.
IP Rating Label Level of Dust Protection Offered
- IP0 – Not much protection from dust.
- IP1 – Protects against solid objects which are greater than 50 mm in diameter.
- IP2 – Protects against solid objects which are greater than 12.5 mm in diameter.
- IP3 – Protects against solid objects which are greater than 2.5 mm in diameter.
- IP4 – Protects against solid objects which are greater than 1 mm in diameter.
- IP5 – Protects from dust but there could be some penetration which will not be harmful.
- IP6 – Completely protects your device from Dust. The device is totally sealed.
Now we provide the IP ratings that signify the protection of your mobile phone from water.
IP Rating Label Level of Water Protection Offered
- IP – 0 Not much protection from water.
- IP – 1 Protects against dripping water.
- IP – 2 Protects against dripping water when tilted up to about 15 degrees from the normal position.
- IP – 3 Protects against water that is sprayed.
- IP – 4 Protects against splashing of water.
- IP – 5 Protects against low-pressure water jet spray for a minimum of 3 minutes.
- IP – 6 Protects against heavy jet spray for a minimum of 3 minutes.
- IP – 7 Protects against immersion of the device to depths of at least about 1 meter of water for 30 minutes.
- IP – 8 Protects against the effects of continuous immersion of the device in water at depths that are greater than 1 meter.
So from the above tables, one can understand that IP68 is the best IP rating available out there to make sure that your mobile phone has maximum protection from the external conditions like dust and water. Mobile phones that come to the market with IP68 rating have complete protection against dust particles and water resistance even when the device is in a depth of water up to 1 meter. From studies made of mobile phones available in the market, it has been noticed that Sony produces the phones with maximum protection from dust and water. After Sony, the next company in the market that provides the best protection from these factors happens to be Motorola.
When you buy your next phone make sure that the device has an IP68 rating so that you do not have to worry about the conditions to a very large extent and can be taken to most of your adventure trips.